The latest Media Composer version, 2022.10, released on October 20th, 2022, brings some advantageous features. This blog will list these updated features and focus on the new relink function for linking AMA-linked files.
Linked Media Relink
Though unsuited to editing, AMA-linked clips play an essential role in many Avid workflows. However, AMA-linked files are frequently moved and thereby often go offline in Avid. Traditionally, if you wanted to relink these offline AMA-linked clips, you would link them again in the same or a different bin and hope Avid re-establishes the connection to them.
With version 2022.10, Avid has changed the Relink feature in the Media Composer and split it in two. In the right-click menu (of the bin or selected clips) where the Relink feature used to be, you will find a menu with two features; Managed Media, which opens the usual Relink dialogue, and the new Linked Media dialogue for AMA-linked files.
In the Linked Media dialogue, all offline clips will be displayed red. Use the Locate Media button to point Media Composer to the folder where your media resides. Media Composer will look for the original media within the directory and re-establish the link.
The new Linked Media Relink feature is a more intuitive and elegant way to relink AMA clips and makes the process easier to understand for Avid newcomers, especially as this kind of linking process is already familiar to Premiere Pro users.
Other New Features
- “Choose For Me” Option for New Projects – if you turn this feature on when creating a project, the project will not have a pre-set resolution and framerate. Instead, when the first clip is added to the timeline, the Project Properties window will allow the user to set these parameters. Based on the footage, the suggested resolution and framerate will be displayed in the window.
- Multiplex I/O Support for Multiple Open I/O Plug-ins – you can now use multiple active Open I/O plug-ins at the same time, and even use multiple I/O hardware devices simultaneously. Access this feature through the Toggle Hardware button, located in the Timeline window.
- New Sequence Templates – sequence templates can now be used to configure the number and type of tracks, custom track names and the timecode. A new user setting for sequence templates has been added.
- Keyboard Shortcuts to Switch Focus Between Windows and Tabs – switch between windows in Media Composer with Ctrl (Cmd) + Up or Down arrow. Switch between tabs in a window with Ctrl (Cmd) + Tab.
- Bin Metadata Tooltips – hovering over a thumbnail or label in the bin’s Frame View now allows you to see the basic metadata of the clip.
- FreeType Font Support for Titler+
- Support for Two or More Ganged Groups in the Audio Mixer – up to ten ganged groups.
Features are only relevant to users of Avid NEXIS | EDGE:
- Working with Proxy Media in an Avid NEXIS | EDGE Environment
- Media Cache Updates – options in the File Cache tab of the Media Cache settings window now include Enable Disk Cache, Maximum Disk Cache Usage and the ability to Flush Disk, which will remove all data and contents of the selected directory.
Check out the full PDF document:
What’s new in Media Composer 2022.10